Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tis the season to be baking

Fa la la la la la la la la

Christmas is by far my favorite time of the year. There are lights everywhere, sparkly decorations, wonderment in children's faces, get together's with family and friends, and people seem to get a bit nicer.
I have wonderful Christmas memories, and it's always been a time where Christmas memories trump any bad ones throughout the year. Watching White Christmas, sipping hot chocolate, going to church and driving around seeing lights are things I never want to stop doing and pray I get to do with my own kids one day.

In addition to all of this, my oven tends to be going non stop. There are certain foods or recipes I somehow deem Christmas time worthy, that do not get made throughout the year. One of these is shortbread.

I made these for the first time a few years ago and they are now a standard for winter time.

Taste of Home

Ingredients

  • 3 cups butter, softened
  • 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 cups cornstarch
  • Nonpareils and/or halved candied cherries

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and cornstarch, beating until well blended.
  • With hands lightly dusted with additional cornstarch, roll dough into 1-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press lightly with a floured fork. Top with nonpareils or cherry halves.
  • Bake at 300° for 20-22 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 16-18 dozen

I have never used the cherries and leave the shortbread in until the cookies are a bit more golden brown which helps them them to truly be "melt in your mouth." I dust with powdered sugar and tries adding seedless jam this last time and loved it!
Next time I will dip in chocolate...


No comments:

Post a Comment